Cormyr (pronounced core-MEER, also known as the Forest Country and the Land of the Purple Dragon) was an independent nation in Interior Faerûn. It was historically one of the most prosperous countries of Faerûn.
Cormyr was founded in 26 DR. Its first king was Faerlthann Obaskyr, son of Ondeth Obarskyr and Suzahara Obarskyr. The kingdom was initially formed because the elves and humans in the region needed to get along with each other. Since that time, Cormyr grew by absorbing the realms of Esparin, Orva and claimed the Stonelands as its own.
Often referred to as the “Forest Kingdom”, Cormyr was once covered in thick forests. Due to commercial logging and clearing for farming, however, the once great forests became restricted to the King’s Forest in the west, the Hullack Forest in the east and the relatively small Hermit’s Wood to the south between Wheloon and the Dragonmere. The Dragonmere, an expanse of water connected to the Sea of Fallen Stars, bordered Cormyr to the south. The Storm Horns mountains formed a boundary to the north and west of Cormyr, with the Thunder Peaks to the east. The Vast Swamp separated Cormyr from Sembia in the southeast. The Wyvernwater was a large lake in the middle of Cormyr. Cormyr itself was dotted with beacon towers, used to quickly relay messages across the land
Coins were refered to by the following names:
Thumbs are copper pieces
Falcons are silver pieces
Lions are gold pieces
Tricrowns are platinum pieces
Laws of Cormyr
1. All persons entering Cormyr must register with the officials of a border garrison.
2. Foreign currency can only be used in certain locations. Please exchange your coins for Cormyrean golden lions at your first opportunity.
3. Adventurers must acquire a charter before undertaking any operation as a group.
4. All weapons must be peace-bonded. The only persons exempt from this law are members of chartered adventuring groups and members of mercenary groups that can offer proof of employment.
5. Harming cats is forbidden.
6. Bow your head to royalty and the local nobility.
7. Purple Dragons have the right to search you upon request.
8. Hunting on private land is forbidden.